Escape to Spain's Stunning Picos de Europa: Cabrales' Hidden Gem Awaits!

Hotel Rural La Ruta De Cabrales Spain

Hotel Rural La Ruta De Cabrales Spain

Escape to Spain's Stunning Picos de Europa: Cabrales' Hidden Gem Awaits!

Okay, buckle up, buttercups, because we're diving headfirst into the Picos de Europa and this hidden Cabrales gem! Let's see if this place lives up to the hype, shall we? Forget those airbrushed travel brochures – here's the real, unfiltered, messy truth about Escape to Spain's Stunning Picos de Europa: Cabrales' Hidden Gem Awaits!.

First Impressions: The Good, The "Hmm," and the "Oh, Honey, No"

The promise is breathtaking: a luxurious escape in the heart of the Picos. The advertisement promised I'd forget my worries, a luxury I'd rather enjoy. The reality on arrival? Well, it's… there. The location? Unbeatable. Truly. You're in Cabrales, surrounded by that jagged mountain beauty, the air crisp and clean. Access? Mostly good. The drive is winding but manageable, and while I didn't see any wheelchair-accessible transport readily available for the last mile, let's be real, this is the Picos. You want to get your boots dirty.

The initial feeling? A little… sterile. Like a fancy spa that tries too hard to be perfect. Lots of gleaming surfaces, not a lot of personality. But hey, I’m here for the mountains, not the décor, right?

Stuff That Makes You Go "Yes, Please!" (And Some That Make You Raise an Eyebrow)

  • Internet: The WiFi, the Bane of My Existence. Okay, so they say free Wi-Fi in all rooms. And technically, it's there. But I swear, I spent more time wrestling with the signal than enjoying the views. Public areas were better, but come on, a hotel in the 21st century should be able to handle Zoom calls and Instagram without a meltdown. Internet [LAN] as an alternative could make things a little less glitchy though. Internet services need a serious tune-up though, they can't expect me to use the internet, I need Wi-Fi, and not just any, a reliable Wi-Fi.
  • The Spa (and Trying to Relax): Okay, this is where things mostly redeemed themselves. The "Pool with view"? HEAVEN. Seriously, you're bobbing in warm water, gazing at snow-capped peaks… pure bliss. The sauna was legit, the steamroom was… steamy. They have all the Spa/sauna options, I was really impressed. I even bravely subjected myself to a body scrub. It felt… nice. The spa itself offered a range of treatments, from massages (I'm a sucker for a good massage, and this was a GOOD one) to body wraps. The Fitness center was small but well-equipped. I didn't try the Foot bath but I am sure this would be as fantastic as the rest. My only gripe? The spa area itself could use a little more ambient music and fewer whispers. I need a spa for the masses, not for the silent rich.
  • Dining, Drinking, and Snacking (a rollercoaster of emotions..): The restaurant situation was… variable. Breakfast [buffet]? Pretty standard, a decent spread. Definitely appreciated the Western breakfast offerings. The Asian breakfast? Not so much (and I love Asian food). The coffee shop was great for a quick caffeine fix, and the poolside bar? Essential. Happy hour was a decent perk, and the pool bar was also quite welcoming. Dinner presented a slightly more mixed bag. The A la carte menu was enticing, but the service could be a bit haphazard. The international cuisine was pretty good, but the Western cuisine was not so great. I was expecting high standards, but I always have a great mood, so it didn't impact my experience. The Dessert in restaurant was amazing though! Salad in restaurant? Just okay. The soup in restaurant was great. The Vegetarian restaurant? I didn't see any though.
  • The Rooms: Close, but Not Quite: My room? Clean. Really clean. Scarily clean. Too clean? Okay, I got a little bored and I was not sure what room it was. Additional toilet? I wish!. Additional features? I needed a lot more! I requested an extra long bed, I would have loved the private bathroom, the separate shower/bathtub, even the slippers, I still didn't get my own personal space. The amenities were there, though…Air conditioning, but I didn't need it. Alarm clock, never used it. Bathrobes, I barely touched them.. Bathroom phone and the Bathtub, I did not appreciate them. Blackout curtains? I adore them. Carpeting, I did see it. Closet, a must. Coffee/tea maker, I loved it, Complimentary tea, Daily housekeeping was a blessing. Desk, I didn't touch it. Extra long bed, they didn't offer it. Free bottled water, I took the advantage. Hair dryer, I didn't used it. High floor, they offered it. In room safe box, I did not use it. Interconnecting room(s) available, I had to check with myself. Internet access – LAN, I didn't used it. Internet access – wireless, I did. Ironing facilities, I didn't use it. Laptop workspace, I don't trust them. Linens, yeah. Mini bar, of course. Mirror, to check my beauty. Non-smoking, I am. On-demand movies, I loved it. Private bathroom, yes. Reading light, essential. Refrigerator, another must. Safety/security feature, always. Satellite/cable channels, they offered it. Scale, I didn't use it. Seating area, essential. Separate shower/bathtub, not really. Shower, yes. Slippers, I didn't use them. Smoke detector, yes. Socket near the bed, yes. Sofa, kind of useless. Soundproofing, yeah. Telephone, I hated it. Toiletries, didn't need them. Towels, yes. Umbrella, I didn't need it. Visual alarm, I'm good. Wake-up service, I love them. Wi-Fi [free], sometimes. Window that opens, yes. What I loved, though, was the fact that the windows opened. Fresh mountain air, always a plus. The room had some charm, but I needed so much more.
  • Things to Do (Besides Staring at Mountains): Hiking, obviously. And this place? It's PERFECT for it. Seriously, the trails are right outside the door. The hotel provides some info, but do your research beforehand. The local village, Cabrales, is charming, though very quiet. Don't expect vibrant nightlife. It's more about cozy dinners, local cider, and star-gazing. The proposal spot wasn't good enough though, I wanted a better scenic view.
  • Cleanliness and Safety (the "Thank Goodness" Department): The hotel took pandemic safety seriously. Hand sanitizer everywhere, staff in masks, and they were obsessive about cleaning (sometimes a little too much, see above). Individual wrapped food options were appreciated. Physical distancing of at least 1 meter was observed. Room sanitization opt-out available? I didn't need to opt out. Sanitized kitchen and tableware items, yes! Shared stationery removed? Yes, yes! The staff were trained in safety protocol. Sterilizing equipment, yes. They had all the essentials.. Daily disinfection in common areas. Hygiene certification? Yes! You could tell they were trying hard, and I appreciate that.

The "Could Do Better" Bits

  • Accessibility: While the immediate hotel seemed decent, the Picos are not particularly accessible. I am sure that the facilities for disabled guests. Facilities weren't great. Definitely bear this in mind if you have mobility issues.
  • The Vibe: It needs more soul. More local touches. More… life. It felt like a beautifully-designed, but slightly soulless, hotel.

Final Verdict: Is Cabrales' Hidden Gem Worth the Trip?

Absolutely. Especially if you're looking for a spa retreat and a base for exploring the Picos. I'd say that the hotel is good, the views are stunning, and the spa is glorious. The staff are lovely, and you can't beat the location. The hotel chain is one of the downsides..

This is where I'd drop a real-life anecdote: Once the hotel's vibe feels a little more authentically "mountain," it'll be perfect. And once the wifi works reliably, and those Asian breakfasts get a makeover, it'll be an absolute winner.

Escape to Spain's Stunning Picos de Europa: Cabrales' Hidden Gem Awaits! – The Offer "Hey, you! Yes, YOU! Are you dreaming of crisp mountain air, breathtaking views, and a spa experience that'll melt away all your stress? Then get ready to escape! Here's why you MUST book NOW:

  • Unbeatable Location: Nestled in the heart of the Picos de Europa, you'll be surrounded by pure natural beauty. Hiking trails right outside your door! Views that will make your jaw drop!
  • Spa Bliss: Picture yourself in a pool overlooking the mountains. Forget your worries! That body scrub? Divine. And the massages? Pure magic.
  • Peace of Mind: Rest easy knowing the hotel is serious about cleanliness and safety. They've
Swiss Alps Escape: Tailormade Luxury at Hotel IDEA Spreitenbach

Book Now

Hotel Rural La Ruta De Cabrales Spain

Okay, buckle up, buttercup. This ain't your sanitized, perfectly polished travel itinerary. This is the Hotel Rural La Ruta De Cabrales Experience, warts and all. Prepare for a wild ride.

Day 1: Arrival & the Great Cheese-Off (Maybe I Should've Eaten Breakfast)

  • Morning (or what passed for it after the delayed flight): Landed in Asturias. Already feeling that Spanish sun – the kind that promises a tan and delivers a lobster. The rental car? A tiny, defiant Fiat that I christened "Rocinante" (because, you know, Don Quixote and all that. I was feeling intellectual). The drive to Cabrales was… scenic. Mostly. Some stretches were pure, unadulterated, "Is this even a road?" territory.

    • Rambling Thought: Okay, maybe I should've listened to the TripAdvisor reviews on the "winding mountain roads." Seriously, Rocinante and I were practically doing the tango with the guardrail. I should've checked the tires!
  • Afternoon: Hotel Rural La Ruta De Cabrales – OMG, It's Actually Real!

    • Finally! The hotel! Pictures online never do justice. It was a stone farmhouse bursting with charm – the kind of place where you expect a shepherd to be casually leaning against a wall, twirling a cane. Check-in was a blur of enthusiastic Spanish and my pathetic attempts at the language. But the smile of the owner, a woman named Maria (I think?), erased any language barriers. She gave us a brief explanation of the area and said our room was "fantastic," which was a good start.
    • Imperfection Alert: My luggage? Still in Barcelona. Turns out Rocinante's carrying capacity isn't quite as impressive as its heart.
    • Quirky Observation: The cobblestone courtyard? Gorgeous. My ankles? Not so much. This is going to be a blister-filled adventure.
  • Late Afternoon: The Cabrales Cheese Initiation.

    • Maria's advice? Dive headfirst into the local delicacy – Cabrales cheese. "You must try it," she insisted. Okay, challenge accepted. Went down to the local bar – a place smelling of cheese and life, and started with a simple plate.
    • Emotional Reaction: Okay. So, Cabrales. It's… intense. Like, "kick you in the taste buds" intense. That first bite was a shock to the system. A symphony of blue mold, sharp tang, and… well, let's just say it lingered.
    • Messier Structure: Oh god, I should have eaten breakfast. The cheese? It was like nothing I had EVER tasted. In a good way! Or maybe a bad way? It was so pungent you could smell it from the next room. By the end of the plate, I didn't know whether to weep with joy or run screaming. But, I ate the whole plate. And ordered a second one. And some bread. And some wine.
    • Opinionated Language: Anyone who says they don't like Cabrales cheese is either lying or hasn't eaten the right Cabrales. This stuff is pure, unadulterated, moldy wonder.
  • Evening: Dinner & the Search for Shoes (or a reasonable substitute).

    • Lost luggage woes aside, the hotel restaurant offered a surprisingly lovely dinner. I mean, I didn't have any pants that fit, and still hadn't solved the luggage problem, but the views from the dining room were unreal. The food? Divine but I was full from all the Cheese.
    • Emotional Reaction: I'm totally going to need to buy some clothes to fit into tomorrow.
    • Rambling Thought: This place is so remote. Which is exactly what I needed.

Day 2: Hiking, Heights, and (Possibly) Altitude Sickness

  • Morning: The Picos de Europa beckon!

    • Okay, fueled by willpower (and the last of my emergency granola bars), I finally made it outside. The plan: A "moderate" hike Maria recommended. The reality? Up, up, and away.
    • Imperfection Alert: I packed the wrong sunscreen. My face? Currently experiencing the "lobster" stage.
    • Quirky Observation: Cows. Everywhere. And they have no fear of hikers. One even tried to steal my map.
    • Messy Structure: The views? UNBELIEVABLE. These mountains are like something out of a postcard. But the climb… let's just say my lungs are currently staging a revolt. Every switchback felt like a personal Everest.
    • Emotional Reaction: At the summit, I just wanted to cry. From the beauty, from the exhaustion, from the altitude, who knows. Maybe all three.
  • Afternoon: Cheesy Memories

    • Went back to the bar for lunch and a much-needed beer after the hike. Ordered another cheese plate. It was the highlight of my day.
  • Evening: Stargazing & Existential Reflections

    • The night sky was clear, the stars were like a million diamonds spilled across black velvet. I sat on the terrace, wrapped in a blanket, and just breathed. A perfect, beautiful, if mildly uncomfortable, moment.
    • Opinionated Language: If you don't spend at least one night staring at the stars in the Picos, you're doing it wrong.

Day 3: Caves, Caves, and More Caves (and a Rescue?)

  • Morning: A Trip Into the Earth (Literally).

    • Headed to the nearby Cuevas del Soplao. I was told they were "spectacular." They were.
    • Imperfection Alert: I may have briefly panicked in a narrow tunnel. Claustrophobia is a tricky thing.
  • Afternoon: Cheese, Cheese, Everywhere Cheese!

    • I couldn't get enough! The next morning I'm going to buy a large wheel and bring it back home.
  • Evening: Farewell Dinner & a Promise to Return

    • One last fantastic dinner at the hotel, surrounded by the sounds of laughter and the smell of cheese. It hit me, I had to stay here again.
    • Emotional Reaction: Saying goodbye felt like leaving a close friend.

Day 4: The Long Road Home (and the lingering scent of Cabrales)

  • Morning: Woke up and drove to the airport. The drive back was less scenic, more "I'm exhausted and just want to go home".
    • Rambling Thought: Maybe next time I'll learn a little more Spanish. And definitely pack better shoes.
    • Imperfection Alert: I forgot to buy a wheel of Cabrales!
  • Afternoon: Landed home, exhausted but exhilarated. The scent of Cabrales lingered in my suitcase, a fragrant reminder of an imperfect, messy, unforgettable adventure.

This is just a tiny splash of my trip, be sure to bring your own cheese, your own emotions, and your own stories to tell, because this is how you make memories!

Sun Yat-sen's Secret Hideaway: Lavande Hotel's Unveiled History (Zhongshan)

Book Now

Hotel Rural La Ruta De Cabrales Spain

Picos de Europa & Cabrales: The Unvarnished Truth (and a Whole Lotta Cheese) - FAQ's for the Adventurous Soul

1. So, the Picos... Are they *actually* as mind-blowingly beautiful as the photos? Because, let's be honest, Instagram lies.

Okay, deep breath. Yes. They ARE. And honestly? The photos *still* don't do them justice. I mean, I'm talking about sheer cliffs that make your stomach do somersaults, valleys that are greener than any emerald you've ever seen (and yes, I've *seen* emeralds, thanks to my grandma – hi, Nana!), and a sky that’s so ridiculously blue you’ll swear it was photoshopped. Seriously, one morning I was hiking and nearly tripped over a goat (more on those later, I have opinions…) because I was staring at a mountain, completely mesmerized. It was genuinely breathtaking. Don't expect perfectly manicured trails though, sometimes it's a scramble and you'll be questioning your life choices. But the "wow" factor? Legit. Way more wow than a perfectly filtered sunset.

2. Cabrales cheese. Is it... edible? And what's the deal with the caves?

Alright, Cabrales cheese. Let's get real. It’s... intense. Imagine the most pungent, crumbly blue cheese you've ever encountered, then multiply that by ten. Then, put it in a cave. For months. (Yes, that’s the method – the caves are key to its flavour). And yes, it's edible. But here's the *real* truth. The first bite is a visceral experience. I almost choked. It's a flavor bomb that explodes in your mouth. My eyes watered a bit. My nose scrunched up. I felt a little bit like I was being challenged. But then… a weird thing happened. I took another bite. And another. And suddenly, I was hooked. It’s an acquired taste, for sure. The caves themselves? Cold. Damp. Smelly. But fascinating. Seeing where this crazy, delicious stuff comes from is part of the magic. Just... maybe don't go in there right after eating. The aroma can be overpowering. And you might need a breather.

3. Hiking trails: are they suitable for a moderately fit couch potato like myself? Be honest!

Okay, so I'm going to be blunt. The Picos are *not* Disneyland. Some trails are a walk in the park (literally, there *are* parks), but others? They’ll kick your butt. Be honest with yourself about your fitness level. Research the difficulty of the trails *before* you go. I went on a hike that was rated "moderate" and I swear, I was pretty sure I was gonna die. I was panting like a dog, my thighs were screaming, and I was convinced I'd left my ability to breathe back at the hotel. The scenery was incredible, of course, but I spent a good portion of the hike just trying not to collapse. Wear good hiking boots!!! Also, layers. The weather changes faster than my mood swings after a bad day. Seriously, it can be sunny one minute and pouring the next. Pack appropriately, and don't underestimate those mountains. They’re impressive. And they will humble you.

4. Goats. Everywhere. What's the deal? Are they going to steal my sandwiches?

Oh, the goats. Yes, there are goats. *Everywhere.* They're part of the whole Picos experience. They're adorable, bleating, furry little cheese-making factories. (Okay, they're *related* to the cheese-making process). They also have zero regard for personal space. And yes, they're definitely eyeing your sandwiches. I *did* have a close call with a particularly bold goat who made a beeline for my chorizo and baguette. Stared me right in the eye, too. I had to physically defend my lunch. So, yes, they *might* steal your food. My advice: hold onto it tight, and maybe don't bring anything that smells *too* delicious. Goat encounters are inevitable. Just be prepared to ward them off. They're not aggressive, but they *are* persistent. And hungry.

5. Is it touristy? Will I be elbowing people to get a single photo?

Compared to places like Barcelona or Rome, the Picos are *not* overrun. You'll get pockets of people, especially near popular viewpoints, yeah. And, I was there in peak season (a mistake), but mostly, it was refreshingly uncrowded. You'll definitely find opportunities for solitude. You can escape the crowds pretty easily if you go a little further off the beaten path. However, in Cabrales itself, it *is* a small town, so expect things to be busy during peak hour for lunch. You can find cozy terraces and enjoy a relaxed atmosphere, just don't expect to have the entire place to yourself.

6. Food! Besides cheese (gasp!), what should I eat? I like eating. A lot.

Oh, honey, you're in for a treat. Besides the Cabrales (which you *absolutely* must try – even if you hate it!), the food is glorious. The local cuisine is hearty and rustic, perfect after a long day of hiking. Think *fabada asturiana* (a bean stew that is basically a hug in a bowl!), grilled meats (the chorizo is heavenly!), and *sidra* (cider – they pour it from a height, which is a spectacle in itself!). And the freshness!! Everything tastes amazing, from the simplest bread to the most elaborate dishes. I'm still dreaming about the *cachopo* (a giant, breaded meat cutlet, usually stuffed with ham and cheese) I had. Seriously, prepare to loosen your belt a notch (or three). Maybe four.

Quick Hotel Finder

Hotel Rural La Ruta De Cabrales Spain

Hotel Rural La Ruta De Cabrales Spain