Shanghai's Hidden Gem: Luxury Shell Hotel in Pujiang Town!
Shanghai's Hidden Gem: Luxury Shell Hotel in Pujiang Town! – A Review That Doesn't Lie (and Might Make You Hungry)
Alright, folks, buckle up. This isn't your sanitized, brochure-perfect hotel review. This is a real-life account of my stay at the… deep breath …Luxury Shell Hotel in Pujiang Town, Shanghai. And let me tell you, it's a journey. We're talking accessibility, spa treatments, questionable buffet choices (more on that later), and the eternal quest for a decent cup of coffee. Let's dive in, shall we?
First Impressions: The Good, the Slightly Confusing, and the "Where's the Luggage?"
Okay, Pujiang Town. Let's be honest, it's not the Bund. It's a bit… out there. But that's part of the charm, right? The first thing you notice about the Luxury Shell Hotel is the sheer size. It’s sprawling. Getting from reception to your room feels like a cross-country trek. But hey, at least they have an elevator (yes, important for a building of this scale and for accessibility!), and the convenience store near the lobby is a lifesaver for those midnight snack cravings. (Yes, I may have indulged).
Accessibility is pretty good, overall. The hotel boasts "facilities for disabled guests," and I saw ramps and wide doorways throughout. This is a big plus. The staff, in general, were friendly and helpful, though sometimes there was a bit of a language barrier. Google Translate became my new best friend.
- Accessibility: Check. Decent. Not perfect, but certainly better than some other places I've been to. Specifically, the elevator, the facilities for disabled guests, and the obvious elevator accessibility, are all crucial.
Rooms: Comfort, Chaos, and the Quest for Darkness
My room… well, it was huge. Seriously, I could've hosted a small gathering in there. The air conditioning blasted, which was a welcome respite from Shanghai humidity. The bed was comfortable, the bathrobes fluffy… you get the picture. They didn't skimp on the amenities, offering a coffee/tea maker, free bottled water, and even slippers. They also have blackout curtains! A blackout curtains win!!! The Wi-Fi was… well, it worked, but sometimes it felt like dial-up internet. But hey, free Wi-Fi in all rooms! And internet access – wireless, it's all there. One minor (but critical) point: the soundproofing in my room could have been better. I could hear the occasional street noise, probably from the exterior corridor. I'd recommend requesting a room on a higher floor.
- Available in All Rooms: This is key. Air conditioning (check), alarm clock (check), bathrobes (luxury!), bathtub (check!), blackout curtains (hallelujah!), coffee/tea maker (essential!), free bottled water (yes!),Wi-Fi [free] (yes!).
Food, Glorious (and Sometimes Questionable) Food:
Let's talk about the buffet. Oh, the buffet. The Asian breakfast and the Western breakfast were available, and the variety was impressive. Buffet in restaurant is very important! The Asian cuisine was, as expected, phenomenal. The International cuisine was… well, let's just say it was an adventure. There was a coffee shop and restaurants, restaurants, restaurants! I'm a sucker for soup, and the soup in restaurant was a warm hug. I found the desserts in restaurant to be rather good. The poolside bar served some decent cocktails during Happy hour. The restaurant had a salad in restaurant. I took advantage of the breakfast [buffet], and enjoyed my coffee/tea in restaurant. And hey, vegetarian restaurant!
- Dining, drinking, and snacking: Restaurants galore, Asian breakfast, *Western breakfast, *Buffet in restaurant*, *coffee shop*, *poolside bar*, *salad in restaurant*, *soup in restaurant*, *desserts in restaurant*, *vegetarian restaurant*!
Relaxation Station: Spa, Sauna, and My Near-Death Experience (Okay, Maybe Not)
The Luxury Shell Hotel Spa is one of the highlights. Spa/sauna. The sauna and steamroom were a fantastic way to unwind after a long day of exploring. I got the massage, which was pure bliss, though the masseuse seemed a little bewildered by my tense shoulders. The Body scrub and Body wrap were also available. Swimming pool was not bad, and the pool with view was excellent. The Foot bath felt amazing. The Gym/fitness center was decent too, if you're into that sort of thing.
- Ways to relax: Massage is a must, Spa, Sauna, Steamroom, Swimming pool, Pool with view, Body scrub, Body wrap!, Foot bath, Gym/fitness.
Cleanliness and Safety: Pandemic Edition
This is where the Luxury Shell Hotel shines. They take things very seriously. They have Anti-viral cleaning products, daily disinfection in common areas, hand sanitizer everywhere, rooms sanitized between stays, Safe dining setup and they use professional-grade sanitizing services. Staff trained in safety protocol, sterilizing equipment. They also have First aid kit and a doctor/nurse on call, which is reassuring. Room sanitization opt-out available. I appreciated the cashless payment service and individually-wrapped food options, which felt very safe and provided physical distancing of at least 1 meter. They removed shared stationery and are hygiene certified.
- Cleanliness and safety: A+! All the boxes checked during the pandemic. Anti-viral cleaning products, daily disinfection in common areas, hand sanitizer, rooms sanitized between stays, Safe dining setup, professional-grade sanitizing services, etc.
Services and Conveniences: The Good, the Bad, and the Slightly Baffling
- They had a concierge, doorman, dry cleaning, laundry service, and a luggage storage.
- Air conditioning in the public area.
- The convenience store (again, a lifesaver).
- The meeting/banquet facilities, meetings and seminars, they also host on-site event hosting.
- There was a currency exchange.
- Daily housekeeping was excellent.
- Car park [free of charge] and car park [on-site].
- Airport transfer (thank goodness).
- Bicycle parking.
- Cash withdrawal.
- They provide essential condiments.
- They had a gift/souvenir shop.
- Invoice provided.
- Safety deposit boxes.
- Smoking area.
- Terrace.
For the Kids: Family Fun (and Maybe Babysitters)
- For the kids: The hotel is Family/child friendly with Babysitting service, a Kids meal, and Kids facilities.
Getting Around: Location, Location, (Kinda) Location
Pujiang Town isn't in the heart of Shanghai. You'll need to factor in travel time to get to the main attractions. Car park [free of charge] is amazing.
- Getting around: Airport transfer, Bicycle parking, Car park [free of charge], Car park [on-site], Car power charging station, Taxi service, Valet parking.
The Verdict: Is the Luxury Shell Hotel Shanghai's Hidden Gem? Maybe. Probably.
Look, the Luxury Shell Hotel isn’t perfect. It's a bit off the beaten path, the internet can be a bit flaky, and the buffet can be a gamble.
Overall, I give the Luxury Shell Hotel in Pujiang Town a solid 4 out of 5 stars.
Now, for the Sales Pitch!
Embrace the Unexpected: Discover the Luxury Shell Hotel in Pujiang Town!
Tired of the same old crowded tourist traps? Yearning for a unique Shanghai experience? The Luxury Shell Hotel in Pujiang Town is calling your name!
Why you'll LOVE it:
- Unwind in Luxury: Pamper yourself at the spa, take a dip in the pool, and let all your stress wash away.
- Flawless Hygiene: Rest easy knowing that this hotel is at the top of its game, during covid times!
- Unbeatable Value: Experience the best of Shanghai without breaking the bank.
- Perfect for Families: Plenty of kid-friendly amenities, and it makes a great "base camp" for your Shanghai adventure.
Book Now and you'll receive:
- Complimentary upgrade (subject to availability)!
- **
Okay, buckle up, buttercup, because this is gonna be less "polished travel brochure" and more "dumpster fire diary of a mildly overwhelmed tourist." This is my attempt to survive… checks notes …Shell Hotel Shanghai, Minhang District, Pujiang Town, Zhuyuan Road, China. God help me.
Day 1: Arrival and Existential Dread (aka, The Jet Lag Games)
- 5:00 AM (Shanghai Time, officially, even though it FEELS like 3 AM and I'm pretty sure my internal clock is a broken Casio watch): Land at Pudong Airport. Smooth landing. Yay! Now, the real test begins. Finding the blasted shuttle bus to…where was it again? Oh yeah, the Shell Hotel. The name itself is a bit ominous, isn't it? "Shell." Like I'm going to be locked in, only vaguely alive.
- 6:30 AM: Okay, successfully navigated customs! Felt like a real-life Indiana Jones, dodging suspicious glances and questionable paperwork. Got my visa stamped! Victory! Now I'm on a bus. The scenery is… well, it's early. Everything looks slightly grey.
- 7:30 AM: Found the right Shell Hotel. It looks like a standard business hotel, which is a relief because I was picturing something… weirder. Check-in was… efficient. No warmth. No smiles. Just a guy staring blankly at the computer, then handing me a key card like a death sentence.
- 8:00 AM: Room is… adequate. Clean. Basic. The air conditioning is a definite plus because, even though it's early, Shanghai humidity is already trying to suffocate me. I'm already debating if I should sleep now.
- 8:30 AM: Managed to shower. This felt like a triumph over jet lag.
- 9:00 AM - Noon: (And the Jet Lag Battle Begins) I feel a deep, inner battle with my fatigue. Should I nap? Should I eat? Should I venture out and experience the world? Is this real life?
- Noon: (the hunger strike) I'm starving, but the thought of finding food and interacting with people is… daunting. This is the point where the "avoiding human contact" gene kicks in.
- 1:00 PM: Decided to risk it and go to the local convenience store. It's the equivalent of a Western 7-Eleven, but the snacks are… mysterious. Grabbed a yogurt drink and some kind of pastry that looked both delicious and potentially lethal. Will report back on the pastry later.
- 3:00 PM: Nap Time, Baby. I crashed. Hard. Woke up in a cold sweat, convinced the hotel room was haunted. (Spoiler Alert: It's not.)
- 6:00 PM: I'm up! I am ready to go! I'm not going to let this jet lag get the best of me.
- 6:30 PM: Went for a small walk. Noted a lot of construction. Got a sense of things.
- 8:00 PM: Dinner -- Noodles and some strange tofu in a local restaurant. Ate with chopsticks. Didn't spill anything. Victory!
- 9:00 PM: Back to the hotel. Now I'm writing this. Bed.
Day 2: Pujiang Town Adventures (and the quest for actual coffee)
- 8:00 AM: Woke up. Actually felt mostly human. A small victory!! Coffee is essential! However, the hotel coffee is… well, let's call it “brownish water.” Destination: Coffee Shop hunt.
- 9:00 AM: After a short walk there a Coffee Shop. Coffee tasted like… well, coffee! The barista was super friendly, and I felt a tiny spark of connection with the outside world. So uplifting!!
- 10:00 AM: Walked around, saw some places.
- 12:00 PM: Lunch and the food in China is amazing.
- 13:00 PM: Nap!
- 15:00 PM: This is where things went south.
- 16:00 PM - 18:00 PM: The public transport is not easy. I tried to use it. I don't understand Chinese. I got lost. I got confused. I think I went in a circle. I ended up hating everything.
- 18:00 PM: Back to the hotel. Defeated. I'm ordering takeout. This is a mess.
Day 3: Culture Shock and the Search for Meaning (and better wifi):
- 9:00 AM: Actually, the wifi here is… abysmal. Seriously, it's slower than a snail in molasses. Writing this from the lobby, where the wifi is slightly less terrible. Contemplating a strongly worded email to the hotel (which, of course, I won't actually send).
- 10:00 AM: Decided, against my better judgement, to attempt to navigate the subway again. Armed with a translation app and sheer stubbornness. Wish me luck, I need it!
- 11:00 AM: Success! Sort of. I think I went where I wanted to go. I got stares, but I think I'm getting used to it. I did manage to buy a weird looking fruit.
- 13:00 PM: Went to a local place -- a park! I think I've had enough walking. I’m tired.
- 15:00 PM: Back to the hotel. Nap time, again.
- 18:00 PM: I ate some dinner.
- 19:00 PM: I tried to plan for the next day.
- 20:00 PM: I gave up. I'm staying here.
- 21:00 PM: I am going to sleep.
Day 4: Departure (and the bittersweet taste of freedom)
- 7:00 AM: Woke up. Sad that I was going. But also, relieved.
- 8:00 AM: Breakfast.
- 9:00 AM: The hotel checkout was still emotionless, but at least the key card worked.
- 10:00 AM: The bus. The plane. The trip home.
Quirky Observations & Final Thoughts:
- The constant sound of construction is like a soundtrack to the entire city. It's relentless.
- I’m not sure I’ll ever understand the nuances of the Chinese language, but I appreciate the kindness of strangers.
- I miss my dog.
- The food is AMAZING. I'm going to gain a lot of weight.
- I feel like I barely scratched the surface of Shanghai, but it has left a mark.
Final Verdict:
My time in Shanghai (and specifically, at the Shell Hotel in Pujiang Town) was a whirlwind of jet lag, cultural immersion, and the constant search for decent coffee. It was exhausting, frustrating, and utterly, wonderfully messy. Would I return? Ask me again in six months, when I've recovered. But for now… good riddance, China. (Just kidding… mostly.)
This isn't exactly a five-star review, but it's honest. And maybe, just maybe, that's what matters most.
**Hotel SB Diagonal Zero 4 Sup: Barcelona's BEST Kept Secret?**Shanghai's Secret Stash: The Luxury Shell Hotel - Frequently (And Frankly) Asked Questions
Okay, spill the tea. Is this "Luxury Shell Hotel" *actually* luxurious? And where the heck is Pujiang Town anyway?
Alright, buckle up buttercup, because this is where things get delightfully messy. "Luxury?" Well, it depends on your definition. It's definitely *nicer* than a hostel, let's put it that way. Think more "polished boutique" than "gold-plated everything." They have these amazing, ridiculously soft robes. I almost didn't leave the room the first morning just to keep wearing it. But also… the first room I got had a slightly off-kilter power outlet. And the lobby, while beautiful, sometimes smells vaguely of… well, a bit of a damp basement mixed with expensive air freshener. It’s a vibe. A *complex* vibe.
As for Pujiang Town… Imagine you took Shanghai, shrunk it, sprinkled on some fake Tuscan villas (yes, *really*), and plopped it down in the suburbs. Getting there the first time is an adventure, trust me. I took the wrong subway exit *twice* and ended up wandering around looking utterly bewildered, asking a lady selling tiny, deep-fried dumplings for directions. She just sighed, pointed, and said, in perfect Mandarin, “You tourist, yes?” She was right. But that dumpling? Heaven on a stick.
What's the *real* reason to stay there? I mean, besides the soft robes.
Honestly? The *escape*. Shanghai is amazing, don't get me wrong. But it's also a sensory overload. Staying at the Shell Hotel felt like a pressure release valve. It's surprisingly quiet (except for the enthusiastic cicadas in summer – bring earplugs, seriously). And the air felt… fresher. That might be the fake Tuscan influence, I don't know. Possibly the lack of honking... Mostly it helped the rest of Shanghai's overwhelming-ness just melt away. You know? Like when you finally take your bra off at the end of the day. Pure. Bliss.
Plus, the staff are genuinely lovely. One of the receptionists, a young woman named Mei, remembered my name after only one day. Which is impressive, considering my total butchering of Mandarin. She helped me find the best local noodle place (which, by the way, is amazing). She’s a gem, that girl. Almost made me want to learn Mandarin properly (almost).
Is the food any good? And do they offer a "Western" breakfast? Because, let's be real, sometimes you just need a freaking omelet.
Okay, here's the deal. The hotel restaurant is... fine. It’s not going to win any Michelin stars anytime soon. The buffet breakfast is *decent*. There's a sad, lonely-looking omelet station. And yes, they *do* offer a “Western” breakfast. I'm talking dry toast, questionable bacon that’s been sitting under the heat lamp a little too long, and instant coffee. I did find the fruit selection surprisingly good, though. Like, really good. The pineapple tasted like pure sunshine. So, maybe skip the omelet.
But here’s the *real* win: There are some *fantastic* local restaurants nearby. The noodle place I mentioned? Unforgettable. And there's this tiny *bao* (steamed bun) shop down the street that's basically a religious experience. Get the pork ones. Trust me.
Is it easy to get to the "real" Shanghai from there? Like, the Bund and all that jazz?
Yes and no. The subway is your best friend. The hotel is a relatively short ride from a subway station. But going into the heart of Shanghai takes time. Plan on at least an hour, maybe more during rush hour. I learned this the hard way, missing a crucial meeting because I underestimated the commute. Let’s just say my boss wasn’t thrilled. And the subway can get *packed*. Like, sardine-in-a-can packed. Prepare for the close proximity of strangers. And their bags.
But that’s part of the adventure, right? (Tell myself that at 7 am, crammed against a sweaty businessman’s briefcase) Honestly, it’s a reasonable trade-off for the peaceful night’s sleep you get away from the city’s constant hum. I mean, the Bund is amazing. But you can always *go* to the Bund. The luxury of quiet is much, much harder to find.
Tell me about the spa! Is it luxurious? Should I get a massage?
Okay, this is where things get… complicated. The spa is… *there*. It's available. The massage I had was… a massage. It wasn’t life-altering. The ambiance wasn’t exactly Zen, more… brightly lit. I think the therapist had a cold because she kept sniffing. But the massage itself? It was fine. My back knots, which had grown quite comfortable by then, were loosened. It was… adequate. Not the kind of experience you write home about, though.
The changing rooms were a bit… sparse. And the music was some kind of New Age elevator music on a loop. I spent the whole massage trying to figure out what the melody reminded me of (it was a slightly off-key version of “Greensleeves”). In all honesty? Spend your money on the bao buns instead. Or another soft robe experience.
Okay, so bottom line: Would you recommend staying there?
Absolutely. But with caveats. If you’re expecting a five-star, flawless experience? Probably not. If you need to be *right* in the city center and can't handle public transport for more than 15 minutes? Maybe not. If you're extremely picky about your hotel breakfast? Bring your own snacks.
But if you’re looking for a unique, reasonably priced escape from the chaos, a chance to recharge away from the bright lights, the non-stop noise, and the sheer *pressure* of being… everywhere? Then yes. Yes, a thousand times, yes. Embrace the quirks. Learn to love the almost-but-not-quite luxury. And pack extra layers, because the air conditioning is always set to “Arctic.” Just go. Seriously. You won’t regret it. I’m already planning my return. And I’m *definitely* buying extra bao this time. Oh, and I’m bringing earplugs.